Crime and Punishment
|Crime and Punishment|
|Starting Coords:||910, 105|
|End location:||457, 722|
|Given by:||Sam Krieg|
|Added in:||Update 1.1.0|
Mission Introduction Text.
- Sam Kreig: "We may curse heaven for our fate, but hell is a device of our own construction."
- Sam Kreig: "The Ebony Tower." Number one on the New York Times best-sellers list, five weeks running.
- Sam Kreig: (Writing) We... are the architects... of our own... destiny.
- Sam Kreig: There's no innocence. Only ignorance.
- Sam Kreig: Nobody could ever accuse me of empathy, of genuinely caring for people.
- Sam Kreig: In fact, they'd probably say that Sam Krieg is a cold son-of-a-bitch.
- Sam Kreig: And they'd be right. People don't interest me.
- Sam Kreig: The acts of people? Now those are intrinsically interesting, particularly the consequences of those actions.
- Sam Kreig: Cause and effect. Crime and punishment.
- Sam Kreig: It's every book I ever wrote and sold a million copies of.
- Sam Kreig: So what did the good folk of Kingsmouth do to deserve their fate? I'll tell you.
- Sam Kreig: They were evil.
- Sam Kreig: Kingsmouth, Solomon County - pure evil, all of it, like a modern-day Sodom and Gomorrah.
- Sam Kreig: Always was, from the moment the pilgrims stepped off the boat and set forth on these shores.
- Sam Kreig: There's a dark rot festering behind the flower-print veil of the Labor Day barbecues, homecoming parades and maple syrup.
- Sam Kreig: I should know. The deeper I dug, the darker the hole, the more I found.
- Sam Kreig: A god-damn abyss of foreshadowing.
- Sam Kreig: I've seen evidence of acts so cruel and demented, so twisted and sick - right out there - that people might confuse them for one of my books.
- Sam Kreig: And if you've read any of them - and I'm sure you have - you'd know that this place has blood on its hands, and plenty of crime to its name.
- Sam Kreig: I'm sure you know this one: show a gun on the mantelpiece in the first act, before the curtain goes down it's going to blow someone's scrotum off.
- Sam Kreig: Upon the wicked shall fall a rain of fire and brimstone.
- Tier 1: Tier Objective Text
- List objectives
- 605,440 Experience total
- 75,680 XP per tier for tiers 1 thru 4
- 302,720 XP upon completion of tier 5
- 17,500 Pax Romana upon completion of tier 5
- 4 Sequin of Solomon Island upon completion of tier 5
This local conspiracy theorist - John Anderson - is an entirely American construct. His paranoias are rooted in the cold War. His favourite author is a second-rate genre writer. his knowledge of secret societies begins and ends with information about New York.
That is why the Illuminati are looking for this man. He fled the island soon after his meeting with Krieg because he knew they would come. One man's informant is another man's bane is another man's commodity.
If the Illuminati really wish to find this man, they need look no further than a locked room in a nameless town inhabited by monks. It is amazing how far silence can go in getting a man to tell you everything he knows.
John Anderson. So we now know who this guy was. We know where he lived. We know what he looks like. Most importantly, we know that he knows too much. Ugh. I really hate finding these basement Illuminati references. Especially when they're not that far off...
Except for all the Cold War paranoia. The Reds went down with Ivan Drago.
We have reason to believe Anderson left the island shortly after meeting Krieg. We'll need to find him and figure out just how much he knows.
We'll leave the blog up for now. Maybe he'll try to log in from wherever he is.
Fun fact: Also a KG breakfast.
A thrilling read. I look forward to the sequel. Especially if it involves getting an advanced copy of Sam Kreig’s new novel. Make no mistake, I am not a fan. However, my interest is piqued by the supposed subject matter. Secret societies. Dark days. Hmmm…
I won’t pass judgement just yet. Imagine a best-seller that in no way compromises us or our interests, but rather focuses entirely on undermining the Illuminati.
Now that is an airport paperback I would read.
As for this informant, we assume he’s gone the way of most of the local populace. A shame, though perhaps also for the best.
There are 5 tiers to this mission.
- Find evidence of Krieg's research into the island
- There is a discarded letter on the floor nearby
- Find Sam Krieg's abandoned car
Read the letter closely
Look for a road with a sappy name on your map
Lover's Regret is a nearby gravel road
The car is at the corner of Lover's Regret and Henderson's Gate, at (757,375)
- Trace Krieg's route back to the informant
The letter from the previous tier has a clue for this one as well
Get the GPS on ground near driver's door and listen to it
The GPS directions are:
- Please Exit onto a Mapped Road
- Continue East Bound for 200 Yards Take the Second Exit
- Prepare to Turn Right
- Turn Right and Follow the Road for 500 Yards
- Continue to Follow the Road
- Prepare to Turn Left
- Turn Left Now
- Navigation Paused
So - to trace his route back, you'll have to follow those directions backwards
Take the roads back to Solomon Road and the west to the Sycoil Gas Station at (350,740). Look for clues in the trash can. You will find a picture.
- Find out where Krieg's informant lived
Examine the background of the picture closely
If you run up and down the road, you'll find a house that matches the picture. Located at (462,711)
- Find a way inside the house
- Use the "Mancave entrance"
Visit the website on the picture you found (http://samkriegsightings.wordpress.com/)
Read the entries looking for clues about passwords and codes
April 2nd - "You know you're obsessed when... Your four-digit security codes all come from his books."
The security code is probably from one of his favorite Sam Kreig books...
Try the ISBN numbers
The ISBN numbers for his favorite books are:
- 9780986018220 - The Marked
- 9780986018237 - The Resident Horror
- 9780986018244 - The Undead
- 9780986018213 - The Lighthouse
Notice the first 10 digits are all the same, but the last 3 are different.
The last 3 are different, but you want a 4-digit code
You want the last 4 digits from the ISBN number of one of John Aderson's favorite Sam Kreig books. There are four books listed, and there is no known way to narrow it down to just one of them - so you would have to try all four. The one you want is 8237 - the last 4 from "The Resident Horror"
- Enter the basement
- The Mancave (Instance) (A group instance, NOT a solo instance)
- Access the informant's files
- Asking the computer for a hint gives you Foucault's Pendulum Hardcover Original
"Foucault's Pendulum" is the name of a book
 has it for sale.
Remember the hint states hardcover
John likes to use ISBN numbers for his passcodes
This time it is the full ISBN number, not just the last 4
This one is a bit tricky because there are so many versions of the book, with differing ISBN numbers, that it is hard to make sure you have the correct one. But, a bit of clicking about on Amazon or other book vendors will get you to the Hardcover Original (printed in 1989). The ISBN number for that book is 9780151327652. You have to use the entire ISBN number for the password.
If you are using a German client, the password hint is "Das Foucaultsche Pendel - gebunden, deutsch, 1989". The correct ISBN number to use is 3446153950.
- This mission is required for the Unleashed achievement
- Foucault's Pendulum - Plot summary:
After reading too many manuscripts about occult conspiracy theories, three vanity publisher employees (Belbo, Diotallevi and Casaubon) invent their own conspiracy for fun. They call this satirical intellectual game "The Plan". The three become increasingly obsessed with The Plan, and sometimes forget that it's just a game. Worse still, other conspiracy theorists learn about The Plan, and take it seriously. Belbo finds himself the target of a real secret society that believes he possesses the key to the lost treasure of the Knights Templar.