Gaining Ability Points
Experience is a common reward for accomplishing tasks in The Secret World. It is a main element in character progression. It can be earned through completing missions, killing monsters in PvE, or defeating enemies in PvP.
The experience bar tracks earned experience and progress towards Ability Pointa and Skill Points. It takes 120,000 experience to fill the bar, upon which the player earns a Skill Point. Every 1/3rd of the bar, 40,000 experience, an Ability Point is awarded. These amounts do not increase as the player gains more points, unlike many MMOs.
- Main article: Ability_Wheel
Abilities are purchased via the Ability Wheel by spending Ability Points (which in turn are earned by gaining Experience Points). The first abilities you buy only cost a few Ability Points, but become more expensive as you progress further.
The table below shows the costs for purchasing abilities. "Ability Number" is from 1 to 7, with 1 being the first ability that can purchased in a cell and 7 being the last available in that cell. The "Outer-Ring" costs are also the costs for green "Miscellaneous" abilities which only have an Outer-Ring component.
New abilities can be purchased at any time you have the required points and do not require visiting a trainer or going to any special shop or location. Although, the progression is not entirely free-form, and there are a few restrictions on purchasing abilities:
- Abilities within a cell must be purchased sequentially within that cell.
- For main weapons, all abilities in both cells on the inner ring of a Weapon must be purchased before any abilities in any cell on that weapon's outer ring.
- Other than Inner-Ring/Outer-Ring requirements for a weapon, the abilities within any cell are purchased independently of abilities in other cells.
- Progression within any one weapon is independent of any other weapon.
- Access to Auxiliary Weapon abilities is only granted after completing a related mission (Venetian Missile Crisis for Rocket Launcher as an example).